2.0

I was sold on this place as I was sure I wanted to be an automotive technician when I was younger. I was also swayed by their connections with BMW and the S.T.E.P.

program. So I applied for their "Complete Automotive Technician" program. The 18 month program includes their basic automotive program, with the addition of alternative fuels, and high performance. The basic automotive program was ok.

Decent instructors, pretty good curriculum. The biggest complaint I would have is that as far as training on specialized equipment (battery tester, A/C tester, compression tester...), they usually only had one of each piece of equipment so we didn't get much hands on time with it. Also, there would be more than one class in the shop and that could interfere as well. That and the overall care and maintenance of the vehicles was abysmal.

They were in terrible shape and most days felt like we were training in a scrap yard. The alternative fuels program was fairly new when I was a student and vehicles to train with were limited. They had a small handful of first generation Prius' and a CNG powered Chevy Silverado. Class instruction was good, but hands on with the cars was bad.

There was no structure from the two instructors and time in the shop turned into downtime as we weren't given much direction. The final phase was high performance. This was the worst. And what made it worse was the anticipation of getting there.

The curriculum was not followed at all. Most days in the shop were spent fabricating brackets for our instructors' drag race car, or doing nothing. We never learned how to dial in suspensions, adjust timings, tune air/fuel ratios, setup a dyno... nothing.

We watched incredibly boring instructional videos half the time in the classroom too. Overall I felt scammed by this school and would not recommend it to anyone. If this type of institution is what you are looking for, I strongly recommend looking at UTI or WyoTech. Or even your local technical college.

OTC is not as well respected as they imply, and definitely not worth the money.

Ps. I'm not an automotive technician anymore and am happier for it.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Monetary Loss: $22000.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Comments